This program was designed by Scott Miller, who is a Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, in collaboration, to work in collaboration the golfer and their teaching professional. The premise of this program is to perform a comprehensive musculoskeletal evaluation of the golfer looking at range of motion, strength, flexibility and neuromuscular recruitment patterns specific to the golf swing. With the information from the evaluation, develop a functional program that will be integrated with the drills and instruction from the teaching professional or coach.
Basically, the goal of this program is not to change your swing mechanics, but to get your body into the position that the teaching professional wants you in to achieve the desired swing. Our expertise is in musculoskeletal assessment, while the teaching professional’s expertise is in swing mechanics. Collaboratively, we are able to provide any golfer with an optimal golf swing for each individual’s golfing needs and goals.
Components of the program?
The Golf F.I.T. Program consists of the following components:
- Comprehensive musculoskeletal evaluation for:
Upper body, spine and lower body, Assessment of functional range of motion, strength & flexibility
Assessment of neuromuscular recruitment patterns specific to golf (basically, being able to appropriately turn muscles “on and off” when needed)
- Develop a golf-specific program addressing the imbalances or deficits, including muscular and cardiovascular
- Collaborative training program between the golfer and their teaching professional or coach
- Referral source to a teaching professional (if requested)
- Follow-up assessment for progression of program
- Injury evaluation with appropriate medical recommendations/referrals
Who would benefit from the program?
The Golf F.I.T. Program is designed for golfers at all levels, from beginner to elite, recreation to competitive, casual to serious, middle school to Q- school. If you have been in any of the following situations, this program would be of great benefit:
- You are someone who has struggled with injuries, including low back, hip, knee, shoulder or elbow pain
- Have been referred for physical therapy and are looking for someone with experience working with golfers
- Have had any type of spine, joint replacement (e.g., total knee) or reconstructive surgery (e.g., rotator cuff)
- Are interested in a healthier lifestyle following rehab, that includes golf
Will medical insurance cover this?
As this is as specialty of our normal physical therapy services, there is no additional cost to the patient aside from their normal insurance co-pay or deductible. We participate with most Commercial insurances and would be happy to assist you with any benefit questions you may have.
How do I get started?
All that we need to get you started is a prescription from your primary care physician or specialist with an appropriate medical diagnosis.
To make an appointment or for more information about the Golf F.I.T. Program, please call Agility Physical Therapy & Sports Performance during normal business hours or contact us through our website.